I’ve not been posting much over the past several months, mostly for 3 reasons.
1. it’s all quiet on my land and there’s not much to talk about (true) and
2. my life is so glamorous and busy that I barely have time to write out a grocery list (false)
3. I’ve been scouring the country in search of a better place to live than California (also true, see my posts from June 2012)
so I headed East…
Even further East…
So then I went South…
and further South…
Finally I went to Arizona…
Now that feels ’bout right!
I cracked open my piggy bank and bought a small house at the edge of the sprawl outside Phoenix!
This is the view out my front door!
The new casita is still technically a small house at 750 sq feet (not a tiny one tho). It has 2 bedrooms, 1 good-sized bath with double shower, laundry room, open kitchen/dining/living room, a nice large patio, and plenty of open spaces, desert critters and the cutest old wild west town a mile down the road! It’s only 25 minutes from Downtown Scottsdale and the Phoenix airport AND, it cost me less than the down payment on a tiny 1 bedroom ghetto apartment in a bad part of Los Angeles!
What to do with my mountain and my tiny cabin? What about my career, spent basking in the glamour of Hollywood? What about my friends, family and everything else?
Hell, I don’t know. I do know a few things though…
1. California is a financial and social train wreck and getting worse. It’s not a place I want to (or can afford to) retire.
2. I love the desert and the scrappy people of Phoenix and I LOVE my new little casita!
3. As a working freelance Hollywood creative professional, 90% of my work in the last 3 years has been OUT of California so realistically I could live anywhere near an airport.
4. It’s a 6 1/2 hour drive from Hollywood to my new casita, 8 hours to my mountain and my little car gets 40 mpg.
I am now splitting my time between my mountain, the new desert casita, my apartment in LA, and my work on the road so…
I’m pretty sure I’ll work all this out, I’m a smart guy. Maybe now I’ll be a happy guy too?